Sunday, July 31, 2016

Hope is in Better Questions

Most people will have back pain from time to time. As a massage therapist, I can pretty consistently put my hands on that and make it feel better for at least awhile; and, if that’s what you want to pay me to do, that’s what I do. But, what I REALLY LOVE about my work is asking the questions. The bigger questions. The better questions. If you and I talk a little bit, are we going to start to wonder if your back pain is related to the wallet you have in your back pocket when you drive? Would your neck pain be alleviated if you got computer glasses so that you aren’t straining to see?
 
I am a recovering intellectual. I went to school to learn how to be a massage therapist. I wanted to make someone responsible for teaching me how to do everything “right.” People are not geometrical. I was shocked. We don’t have all the same muscles and bones, and we don’t have them in all the same places. I am not going to find someone’s troublemaking psoas major by getting out a measuring stick and poking them with it. I sought comfort in right answers. I realize now how arrogant that whole concept was, how limited I was by my belief that all I needed was to learn some “secret formula” that would bring guaranteed results, and then I could pat myself on the back for making the world a better place.

I no longer consider myself a “healer.” I did when I set out on this journey. That’s what I thought I was, as though I was going to magically “fix” people. Every person is in charge of their own health. I simply extend the invitation. I am not magic. Healing does not occur without permission. I am a safe place, a facilitator, an educator and an encourager. I am responsible for the intent, not for how it is received.

Touch is powerful. Many people have limited experience with touch. Touch is personal. It is sacred, and it can be scary. People often dismiss or reject, or even mock things they don’t understand. I don’t want to condemn them back. I won’t lose my truth because someone doesn’t appreciate its value.

My compassion and integrity are reflections of my experiences on this planet. It is through my unique training, integrity, curiosity and courageous compassion that I hope to influence the way others experience life on this planet. I believe in the power of touch. I believe in the power of compassion. I believe in the power of holding space for others. I believe in the divine design of the body to heal in the presence of Love. I am a powerful force for Hope in this world. Hope can change the world. Every day, Hope can change someone’s world.

No comments:

Post a Comment